4.10.12

EXHIBITIONS

This summer I missed quite a few exhibitions I had been really looking forward to seeing due to my own slackness. I always see posters/blog posts about certain exhibitions, tell myself I should go and then remember when it has been finished for about a month.
So I have decided things have got to change around here, I have been neglecting my cultural side too much. I have made a list of all the exhibitions I would like to see this Autumn and I intend to go to all of them (I said intend…)

-The V+A is one of my favourite museums in London, the entrance gets me every time. I love the atmosphere in here and that there are always students sprawled across the floors drawing. They currently have an exhibition on Ballgowns: British Glamour Since 1950 which I still haven't got around to seeing despite every person I know having been. But, they have another one starting October 20th that caught my eye called Hollywood Costume. It will present 'over 100 of the most iconic costumes in the history of film-making'. I would say this exhibition is quite pricey at £17.30 (with gift aid) but I'm sure it will be worth it. It finishes on January 27 2013 so there is plenty of time to catch it.

-Surprisingly I have never been to an exhibition at Somerset House so I can't wait to go and see Tim Walker: Story Teller there from 18th October. Tim Walker is one of my favourite fashion photographers, he inspired me so much when I was studying, he certainly made me think outside the box and to push the images I was producing. This exhibition is free and runs until 27th January 2013.

-We all know Cecil Beaton's fashion and portrait images - especially the ones of the Royal family which is why I am excited to get myself down to the Imperial War Museum to see Cecil Beaton: Theatre of War. This exhibition shows his less well-known wartime images covering the Second World War. From the images used to advertise it, it looks like its going to be a good one! This exhibition is on now until 1st January 2013 and an adult ticket is £8.

-The Royal Observatory is currently holding a free exhibition showcasing the winning images of Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2012. I think it is the perfect location and the images look so magical and unreal. It runs until 17 February 2013.

-And finally, as of the 12th October The Photographers Gallery will be showing Tom Wood's Men & Women. Tom Wood's Looking for Love project was a huge influence in my final work at University, he came in to give a talk and I was lucky enough to have him look through my images (which was useful but err…very frank). So I'm really looking forward to seeing this. This exhibition is free and runs until the 6th January.

I feel very lucky to live in a city with so much on my doorstep, seen as though a lot of these exhibitions are free I really have no excuse not to visit.

Can you recommend any exhibitions?

1 comment :

  1. Just spotted this - thanks for the round-up, really handy. I used to do a regular one with craft events but I've fallen off the wagon unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top