28.11.12

HOLLYWOOD COSTUMES

On Friday night I went to see the Hollywood Costumes exhibition at the V+A museum. I have been wanting to go since it opened but if I'm honest the £14 entry fee put me off a little (I know, I know, but £14 on the run up to Christmas can spread pretty far!)) but we hit lucky and managed to get a 2 for 1 voucher that could only be used at Friday Lates. I didn't take any pictures because you're not allowed - which usually doesn't stop me getting a couple of sneaky ones but they were seriously on it, no one was getting away with a sneaky snap, they nearly rugby tackled one poor woman to the floor.


I have to say I was really impressed with the technical side to the exhibition. There were projections of interviews with actors, directors and designers, clips from films and boards with notes about the design process. It was all so interactive and sleek, I was very impressed. The exhibition is much larger then I thought it was going to be, there are 3 large rooms all with different costumes in and notes accompanying each one, I found it so interesting to see the height of the actors, many are much smaller then you think!

The exhibition ends with Dorothy's dress and shoes from the Wizard of Oz and also Marilyn Monroe's white dress from The Seven Year Itch, I don't think they could have put anything else in their place.
I really recommend to go see this exhibition, it is well worth the money - even paying full price!

Hollywood Costumes is at the V+A until 27th January 2013 

3 comments :

  1. I always find exhibitions of this king a bit strange. There's something about seeing these things out of context that's just a bit wrong to me. Which makes me one of the only people who didn't enjoy the Harry Potter studio tour!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to see this recently. I wrote a post on it too!! It was an amazing exhibition! I was really impressed to learn about the relationship between costume and character etc. P.s Thanks for the follow on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top