30.1.13

BERLIN FOOD- PART 2

As we only had two and half days to eat our way round Berlin, we tried to make sure we visited a good range of places to keep our stomaches happy.

On Friday after wandering around the Deutsches Historisches Museum we headed to the beautifully decorated cafe for a beer and couldn't resist trying out their waffles.
Waffles, BerlinThey were so tasty and the cherry stuff on the side, although very sweet, went perfectly with the waffles. I think I must have gobbled mine up in about 2 minutes, definitely the perfect post-museum snack to get your energy back!

Whilst we were in the cafe I was leafing through the guide book I bought and realised that not too far away there was a pizza place with a good priced lunch menu. Even though we had just had the waffles we can never resist pizza, so walked about 5 minutes round the corner to 12 Apostles.
This pizza place is situated underneath the railway arches and is decorated with a religious theme in mind (if you haven't guessed) and the pizzas are all named after the 12 Apostles, I had the Judas (salami, peppers and peperoni) and Steven had the Tommaso (onions, peppers, courgette and pesto) and they are huge!
12 Apostles, Berlin
I'm gutted to say that it completely defeated me (damn you waffles!) but for a lunch time price of 7 euros I didn't feel too bad! I think its suppose to be quite a touristy place but I didn't really get that feeling from it, probably because I was too busy stuffing my face to notice.
12 Apostles, Berlin

After pizza we strolled to Georgbräu Brauhaus , a lovely pub on the bank of the Spree River which is the only place that serves St George Pilsener.
Pub, Berlin
I've heard that it's a great place to go in the summer as they have a huge beer garden but the inside is perfectly cosy in the winter. The beer was very nice and I desperately wanted to order a schnitzel but I couldn't fit another thing in!  Beer, Berlin

We started Saturday with a massive breakfast at Mokkabar. I've never really understood European breakfasts before and to be honest I'm still confused. I ordered German pancakes which came with a big bowl of fruit and yoghurt, perfectly fine, a little on the large side but a good breakfast.
Mokkabar, Berlin
However, Steven ordered the 'cheese' off the menu which came as a huge dinner plate with 5 or 6 different cheeses (a good portion of each), plenty of fruit, a pot of jam in the middle, a boiled egg and a bread basket with nutella and honey! What are you suppose to eat first?! Would definitely recommend this place if you are looking to be full for the whole day!
 
In the evening we tried Rootz, a vegetarian and vegan burger place in Kreuzberg. I ordered the weekly special, a southwest chilli burger made with brown rice and Steven ordered the Garden burger made with tofu. The burgers were nice, nothing amazing but fine for the price (15 euros for two burgers, drinks and fries), would recommend if you're looking for some quick grub though.
Rootz, Berlin
We finished our evening at the Ramones Museum, which turns out to be not too far from the 12 Apostles (imagine our delight when we had been wandering around the wrong area in the freezing cold due to the address being wrong on the trip advisor app!) We paid 5 euros each which gives you entry to the museum and a beer.
Ramones Museum, Berlin
I loved this place, I would love somewhere like this in London, cheap beer, bands playing and a place to sit that looks like you're in someones front room! It was so unpretentious and I loved all the old Ramones pictures, it really makes you want to go home and listen to all their stuff.
Ramones Museum, Berlin

And that was pretty much it for food and drinks places, I don't think we did too bad in two and a half days! 
Are there any places you would recommend trying out next time we go?

7 comments :

  1. Good old Berlin. I'll have to make a note of Rootz for the next time I go - 15 euro seems damn cheap for 2 meals plus drinks! I can put up with a slightly average veggie burger for that price :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's definitely value for money, well worth a visit. I just like the novelty of veggie burger places anyway! x

      Delete
  2. I can't believe I still haven't been to Berlin! it's been on my to-visit list for years now... I'm thinking next winter will hopefully be the time. Your air bnb apartment and host sound incredible too – how lucky! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was on my to-visit list for ages too! I'm so glad we went, its a lovely place - although I would recommend not to go in January, the cold is too much to take! x

      Delete
  3. I've never been to Berlin but we are hopefully going to go later this year for a little weekend away... I'm definitely going to refer back to this post when the time comes! (And pick your brains when I see you on 17th!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh yes please do! I'm looking forward to meeting you :)

      Delete
  4. Aah I'm so jealous, I miss Berlin! We went in 2009 (aah how was it that long ago!) and I really want to return. I love Cupcake Berlin and Delores for food, and just walking around the streets and exploring x

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top