28.1.13

BERLIN (PART 1)

Berlin

On Thursday we took ourselves off on a little jolly to Berlin to celebrate our 5 years of being together. I've always wanted to go and when we booked it we didn't really take into account just how cold it would actually be. I know, I know, English complaining about the weather AGAIN but it was soooo cold, I have to reiterate the point! I wore SO many layers! I had a pair of normal tights, wool tights, 2 pairs of socks and jeans on my bottom half alone and I was still numb.

Berlin

Despite the cold (sorry!) we had lots of fun and managed to squeeze a good enough amount of sight seeing/eating/drinking/relaxing into the 2 and a half days we were there. I really like how relaxed the city is, even in the tourist spots there was half the amount of people that you would find in a similar spot in London (although I'm thinking they were probably more sensible then to venture out in -10 degrees) I also noticed how much they promoted their own brands, I don't really remember seeing an advert for McDonalds and there wasn't a Starbucks/Pret on every corner, there were plenty of German cafes to get a hot drink and the supermarket we got our supplies from only sold German beer in bottles! I wasn't really conscious of this as I walked round but it was after I got back to London that it really made me think of it, has any body else noticed this?
I will do another post (part 2) on where we ate and some of the places we visited once I get the pics sorted. Also, I have to say I'm very disappointed in myself that I didn't have a sausage, no bratwurst, bockwurst or currywurst so I'm going to have to visit Herman ze German to make up for this!

Apartment, Berlin

I also wanted to mention that this was the first time we had used airbnb to book an apartment and I'm so glad we did. The whole process was so easy and I had been emailing our host prior to our arrival so we already knew a little bit about each other. The apartment we stayed in was in Kreuzberg and I really looked forward to going back there after a long day of sightseeing and eating.

Apartment, Berlin

Our host was lovely, she supplied us with fresh milk, spaghetti and pasta sauce on arrival and even a bottle of red! She left maps and a list of local cafes and places she recommended us to try - which came in handy when looking for breakfast! The apartment was so clean and was a great size, (it was certainly bigger then the studio flat we lived in when we first moved to London anyway!) and beautifully decorated. We made sure that we spent a good amount of time back at the apartment in the evening, as it was so lovely and warm it would be a shame not too!

Apartment, Berlin

I've put a few more pictures from Berlin on my Flickr.

3 comments :

  1. Oh the memorial looks stunning in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it?! It looked completely different to how I imagined it would, probably because of the snow!

      Delete
  2. I want to visit Berlin so much and I think I'd definitely try and find a lovely apartment like yours!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top