3.4.13

NUNHEAD CEMETERY

Nunhead Cemetery
Having lived in Peckham for just over two years I'm a bit embarrassed to say that we only just visited Nunhead Cemetery for the first time on Sunday. Formerly called All Saints Cemetery, it was open in 1840 and is one of the seven great Victorian cemeteries in London. I was quite surprised at how big it is, its huge! Plenty of people use it to walk their dogs and after a good wander around, we found that there is a mix of very old and some relatively new graves.
Nunhead CemeteryNunhead Cemetery
It seems that most of the old head stones are collapsing and have vines growing out of them, after doing some further research, it turns out that the cemetery was nearly full by the turn of the 20th century and therefore neglected by the United Cemetery Company. It is now classed as a woodland and a local nature reserve.
Nunhead Cemetery
Nunhead Cemetery
Friends of Nunhead Cemetery formed in the 1980s and have since restored a few graves and look after the grounds. If you are in the area or even local to London, it is well worth a visit, the grounds look so Victorian and beautiful, especially on a cloudy day like when we visited! I'm looking forward to seeing how different it looks in the summer, I bet it has a completely different feel to it.
Nunhead Cemetery
Nunhead Cemetery
If you're interested, on the last Sunday of the month at 2.15pm they hold a guided tour of the cemetery which is definitely on my 'to do list'.

There are a few more pictures on my Flickr if you want to have a look.

6 comments :

  1. Oh man, those Anonymous comments are so annoying, aren't they? Though funny sometimes too, "Guy".
    Anyway, I've never been to Nunhead cemetery before but it looks so pretty! I'll have to pay a visit. Have you been to the creepy one in Stoke Newington? It's really beautiful but also really spooky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! They're ridiculous, some keep slipping through the spam thing too. I get all excited when I see I've got a new comment too, damn them!

      Oooh, no I haven't been to that one, will definitely pay a visit. Loving me some cemeteries at the minute!

      Delete
  2. Hi, just found you blog via iPhone DIY link in Beautiful Mess, and I really like it! Following you from now on on bloglovin'.

    Keep up with great work,
    Dora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dora :)
      Very kind of you to say!

      Delete
  3. This place is peaceful beauty, I wish I visited when I was on my art trip would have been great inspiration. x
    P.S Don't ask why I'm posting so late :S haha
    Check out my new blog: jewelheritageblog.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. The photos turned out great. Looks like a lovely place! Thanks for sharing! Xo M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top