31.1.14

ROME - PART II (FOOD)

Rome
Rome

So, let's talk about the food in Rome. We had some good and some a bit average, I'm certainly no expert after 3 days there but I can tell you that you know those restaurants with the red and white tablecloths and waiters standing outside enticing you in? They are so flipping tempting. It's really hard not to go 'oh let's just go in here' when you're hungry, in desperate need of pizza and you don't have the internet to rescue you. I'm happy to report that we did manage to avoid those places but I have to admit, for a brief few minutes on our first day, I did want to be that Brit sat outside freezing with a cocktail and a dry looking pizza. Then I came to my senses and we ended up with the best pizza I had all weekend, seriously. After a bit of research we headed straight to Forno Campo De' Fiori to get a slice from the deli. I have never been more confused in my life trying to ask for pizza by the weight but after a bit of pointing and hand measuring we ended up with two piping hot pizzas that they served to us folded in half, a pizza sandwich (totally different from a calzone). It was simple but oh so good, it was the first thing we ate in Rome and I have to say probably the best. 

Rome
Rome
Rome

Seen as though we rented an apartment for the weekend, I wanted to make sure we cooked a proper meal ourselves, we got fresh spaghetti and pesto and topped it with the craziest cheese I've come across. It's called Burrata and has CREAM inside it. When in Rome. 

Rome
Rome
Rome

One place I have to say was a little disappointing was L'Archetto, I have heard nothing but good things about this place - I was recommended it and read so many amazing reviews but the service was pretty shocking and the spaghetti sauce was so so so salty, the spaghetti was cooked perfectly but it was all a bit average (they also gave me a glass of Lambrini for my drink...). I'm thinking maybe the none-tomato sauces are the way to go with this place? Maybe.

Rome
Rome
Rome
Rome

Ok, so now let's move on to the dessert. We hunted down the best gelato in Rome from Gelateria del Teatro, I had the chocolate and coconut one and the chocolate was so creamy and silky but we did get gelato from a few places as we walked around too and they were just as good. Steven had this chocolate and orange one from a place near the Pantheon and he just couldn't get enough of it. 
Steven's favourite dessert is tiramisu, so we tracked down Pompi (apparantly the best in Rome), so he could get a little portion for himself, only four euros too and it was a huge portion for one person!

Rome
Rome
Rome
Rome
Rome
Rome
Rome
Rome
Rome

A couple of other notable places we went were Pizzeria Leonina (another pay by the weight) which we enjoyed sat by a fountain and we also loved Tazza d'Oro, a great coffee bar with tasty pastries. When we were up near the Vatican we went for pizza at L'Isola della Pizza, which was good - my first tomato-less pizza but the waiter was a bit of a sleaze ball. 

All in all, not bad for 3 days. There were so many other places we would have liked to have tried but our stomachs just wouldn't allow it!

*Can I just mention that we don't have the same scarf, I borrowed his for a brief moment when the cold got a little too much, honest!

6 comments :

  1. Too mouthwatering for a Friday 5pm countdown! I think pizza will have to be on the menu this weekend! Also chocolate and coconut is always my favourite ice cream combination x

    ReplyDelete
  2. all I can say is thank god I got my pizza fix last night otherwise this would have been torture. Wanting a gelato more than anything right now though! glad you had lots of good eats - shame about that tomato-y one x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i could kill for a slice of pizza folded in half right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god this looks amazing?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks so great! Yum! I want Italian food right now and all that gelato! Looks like a delicious food filled trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this makes me hungry even though I just had a take out Chinese... and to think that in one of the recent LP Traveller issues there was an article by one of the acclaimed food critics saying that it's impossible to have a decent meal in Italy! What was your favourite gelato flavour?

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top