28.4.14

ALDWYCH UNDERGROUND STATION

Aldwych Station
Aldwych Station
Aldwych Station
Aldwych Station

On Saturday morning I was lucky enough to visit Aldwych underground station as part of a Google City Expert's event (thanks for organising Zoë!). The station stopped running services in 1994 and has since been used in a number of film and TV shows - included Creep, Mr Selfridge, Sherlock and the video for Prodigy's Fire Starter, I'll not give too much away incase you manage to get a ticket (be quick, they sell like hot cakes!) but it was a really interesting tour with plenty to see. Before I went I read on so many websites that they are very strict on people taking photos and you're only allowed to take a phone camera, so I left my camera at home but the two lovely ladies who did the tour were very relaxed and allowed us to snap away as much as we wanted, I'm not sure if every tour is so lucky. I loved the old posters on the platform level and did a little gasp when I saw them but alas they are not original, they were left there after some filming as they are in keeping with the station but we were assured that they are authentic posters from that time (1942 I believe?). I'm glad I've managed to tick it off the list, I never thought I would as I've never been quick enough to get a ticket - and at £25 too!

London, every time you start wearing me down you really know how to pick me back up again.

6 comments :

  1. OMG you have no idea how insanely jealous I am about this. Out of all the lovely things there are to do in London this has always been top of my list but I've never actually sorted myself out to do it. I love abandoned old places they're fascinating! I really really need to do this one day!!

    Chloe x
    newgirlintoon.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting! I went down into Down Street station (below Mayfair) some years ago and was amazed at how much still remained in place, despite it ceasing to operate as a tube station well before World War II. I love the old adverts still on the wall at Aldwych - how cool are they?! As you say, too bad they weren't originals, but fascinating nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is so cool, I'd love a visit here! That telephone wall is fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!
    You really had a wonderful time!
    I love been surronded by old things, that have a story, that have seen so much history....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word these look amazing - the posters on the wall are so cool! I've never thought of doing anything like that x

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top