16.6.14

THE BIG RED PIZZA BUS

Big Red Pizza Bus
Big Red Pizza Bus
Big Red Pizza Bus
Big Red Pizza Bus
Big Red Pizza Bus
Big Red Pizza Bus
Big Red Pizza Bus
Big Red Pizza Bus
Big Red Pizza Bus
Big Red Pizza Bus
Big Red Pizza Bus
Big Red Pizza Bus

Last week it was Steven's birthday so after a matinee show at The Book of Mormon (so good, go see it!) we caught the DLR down to Deptford to finally, finally, finally visit The Big Red Pizza Bus. 
Big Red has been on my list since it opened in 2011 and I have no idea why we haven't been before as Deptford is really only a short bus ride away from Peckham. We were a little early for our booking so went to the Bird's Nest pub next door for a swift one, this is a proper English pub with proper locals and also a great mix of students and bus drivers finishing their shift, I haven't been in a pub like this in a long time. The Strokes' Is This It was playing on the jukebox and the walls are covered in up coming local gigs and festivals - and for a pint and a soda and lime it only cost £2.90! 
The Big Red was actually pretty empty when we got there so I'm not sure if mid-week booking is essential but I've heard weekend booking is a must. I have to say that the whole novelty of eating on a double decker bus didn't wear off once in our visit, my only regret was that we didn't sit at the front on the top deck and watch the world go by whilst eating our pizza. 
The pizza was good, probably not one of the best I've had but maybe I've become too accustomed to sourdough bases, I'd definitely recommend it though. We ordered a vegetable one with really tasty grilled aubergine on and a classic 'Big Red' which was so simple but really delicious - and made even better with their chilli oil. 
And to finish off (and seen as though it was a birthday celebration) we just had to get a knickerbocker glory...each! For two mains, a side salad, two desserts and a couple of drinks it cost about £40, which isn't too bad at all!

7 comments :

  1. It looks delivious. I've tried to go several times but we always fall into the trap of not booking and theres no chance of getting in at the weekend when you just rock up (from my experience)! Maybe a mid week trip is an idea now though?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing and I've never heard of it before (have I been hiding under a rock?!). I love eating in quirky places! I've still not seen Mormon but am going to London in December so should probably try and get a ticket!

    Chloe x
    newgirlintoon.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanting to go there for ages, the intention was to go before we left brixton but that didn't happen! Glad it's as fun as it looks, and those knickerbocker glories look lush! Book of Mormon is sooo funny - we also opted for a matinee, couldn't get a seat in the evening! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh I've so wanted to check this place out!! Can't believe I've still not been......I guess that's another thing on my list for when I'm back! ;) And, fab photos as always! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this idea! Those seat material patterns remind me of when I was little...very cool place to have pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos and what a cool venue to eat in! It's firmly on my list to do now too! :)

    Tamsin xx | A Certain Adventure

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great place and the pizzas look so good! pizza on a bus perfect..

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top