17.3.16

BIG MAGIC

Big Magic

Oh my, this book. This book has pulled me out of my usual winter pity party and dragged me into the motivating-kicking-ass mood I have been in since February and pretty much still going strong except for a few blips here and there.

Big Magic definitely came at the right time for me. I had been feeling very overwhelmed by all the thoughts going on in my head (meet my good friend, self doubt) about how I want to spend my days and live creatively, there were so many questions - how can I do this? Would anyone book me? What if I fail? What if I'm rubbish? What if what if what if.

Steven and I are currently making big changes and big decisions about our future and once I read Big Magic it was like a fog had been lifted and I suddenly felt like I could see in from the outside. As I was peering in I realised something very simple - I will keep taking photographs and I will always take photographs as that is what I feel happiest doing and that is how I want to spend my days. It's as simple as that.

"Share whatever you are driven to share. If its authentic enough, believe me - it will feel original"

So after reading Big Magic I have been putting myself out there more - which is super scary and makes me feel quite vulnerable, especially if sometimes its radio silence. But as Elizabeth Gilbert did with writing; I have dedicated myself to photography and photography is what I shall do. And do you know what, I feel so good for it. Obviously there are times when I don't feel good and my mate (self doubt) pops in to say hello but I will keep going and I will keep creating. 


7 comments :

  1. Go Jo! Big Magic is like your little cheerleader. You are such a talent xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I love that Big Magic is my cheerleader! Thanks lovely xx

      Delete
  2. Jo! My darlink! This post is fab, I'm so happy a book had such an influence on you - I've been a long term admirer of both your images and your words, you've got this, I know it (I know it so much that I paraded your photograph of Northbrook Park to my family declaring it my dream wedding destination). xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca! So lovely to hear from you and you're so kind with your words, thank you. Oh my god, Northbrook Park is seriously beautiful - everything about it is loooovely xx

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous of all the motivation everyone is getting from this book! I've tried a few times to get into it and I just can't seem to get out of it the amazing messages that everyone else is reading. I'm going to keep trying though! I just don't understand why it doesn't click with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Catherine was saying a similar thing the other day. But maybe you just don't need the magic from this book in your life...as you already have it! :)

      Delete
    2. You're making very brave and beautiful decisions... When I did this, I ended up meeting my husband :) I've been meaning to read this book for a while, it sounds so inspiring

      Delete

Back to Top