29.4.16

LEAVING LONDON



As I said in my last blog, I couldn't not write a post on leaving London!

We moved to London six years ago in search of jobs and a new adventure, I don't think I ever thought I'd live here forever but I did think it would be for a few years, probably about 10. The first 4 months of living here were particularly hard for me, I couldn't find a job - actually I could barely find unpaid work experience! I ended up getting a job offer on the day I told myself it was either get a job, or leave London, what are the chances of that?! So I started to climb the career ladder and after 6 years I reached the position I always wanted to have - a Picture Editor on a woman's monthly magazine. Without tooting my own horn too loudly I have to say, I am pretty damn proud of myself for reaching that position at all, let alone in such a short space of time. I'm a good Picture Editor and I do (sorry, did!) enjoy my job. There were aspects that were not so enjoyable, mainly office shenanigans with teams and the company but I had freedom to produce shoots and give ideas and have a say, which is not a responsibility to be taken lightly! So really, I achieved what we set out to do in London...but I have to say that reaching the job I wanted wasn't the be all and end all. In those six years I started a blog, met so many like minded people who influenced and inspired me every day, I started to photograph weddings and month by month I started to realise that I don't want to be defined by an office job and I also want to try other things, all those many things that are out there, let me at them! 

And it's ok that I have walked away from a good job, it's fine that I may not return to being a Picture Editor (apparently they only have them in London...) and I feel very content knowing that I may be doing something totally different in a years time. I want a full life and to look back at 60 and be like "oh yeah, I did that for a bit and then moved here and then did that for a job and then that lead to that"...and so on. I don't want to not do something because I was too worried about making the change.
I really love living in London, its our home and has been my home for the most important (I think) years of my life and I'm not saying we'll never come back because who knows! It has given me confidence and strength that I never knew I had but I feel like I've taken what I can and I need to move on and use that power somewhere else. 
Another thing that has been a deciding factor is money. Everyone knows London is expensive but it is getting quite out of hand in terms of house/rent prices. It's losing its personality a bit and doesn't feel as exciting to me as it once did. I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old but I know we're ready for a change.

So thank you, London. You have been super. 

4 comments :

  1. Best of luck for your exciting new chapter! I left London after living there for 5 years, I loved my time there but definitely felt like it was time to leave, no regrets although when I go back to visit I do get a bit teary and emotional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your new adventure! This was a really lovely honest post so thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely post, Good luck on everything to come in the future, although it can be scary it will still be incredibly exciting!

    Andrew | thtamck.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck my lovely! I'm so excited to keep up with your camping adventures...we're thinking of doing the same thing at some point! We've moved around a lot recently and I wouldn't change it for the world - best life experience ever! Lou x

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top